Migrating from WordPress to Hugo
When I started blogging in 2006 the usual approach was to install WordPress on an Apache web server running PHP and MySQL. Shared web hosting accounts were widely available and more than adequate then but I was in the early stages of my professional life so instead I had a salvaged PC running 24/7 in my living room. I ran Slackware on it and kept a domain name pointed at it via dynamic DNS.
While I didn’t pay hosting fees the extra heat, sound and electricity charges were noticable and the performance was terrible. Fortunately though it taught me the basics of what I was to eventually build a career upon so it was all worth it in the end.
Static site generation
Not long after that time I was impressed with the scripts JWZ had written to generate static content for one of his sites. I remember telling my boss at the time about it and he thought I was crazy. He loved being able to install a fresh copy of WordPress on his hosting account, upload a theme and have a site ready for a new project within a few minutes.
Over time dedicated WordPress hosting accounts appeared and as new web development frameworks were released many developers used their personal blogs as a testing ground for the latest software so I gave static site generation no more thought.
Eventually Jekyll emerged from the Ruby community and it became trendy to have sites generated as static content and served directly from cloud storage. What was old is new again.
Late to the party
In recent years I’ve been keen to simplify as much of my life as possible. I’ve reduced my investment portfolios to a minimal number of funds, let unused domain names expire and when I reviewed my various hosting accounts it dawned on me that I could declutter here too.
If I migrated my blog to a static site I could do away with the VM I was running just for PHP and MySQL, I would also have the added benefit of version control and not having to worry about the database backup scripts ever failing. I’d missed the trend but it still seemed like a worthwhile project.
Thankfully WordPress has a built-in option to export all it’s contents in a single XML file. That file was easily converted into a series of individual Markdown files with wordpress-export-to-markdown. 15 years of posts processed in moments.
I’ve been writing a lot of Go recently so I decided to use Hugo as the generator.
The quickstart guide gave me a skeleton site to which I added the post files. A copy of the WordPress uploads directory was dropped in as static content so image URLs in the content would still work. A few tweaks to the configuration and the theme were all that were left. I was genuinely expecting a much more painful process.
hugo generated the assets which were then deployed onto a VM running Nginx using
The content of this post and the rest of the blog are now found on GitHub.